1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Are you a VIP? Do you own a clan? You can now join the respective usergroup and even manage your own clan if you're a clan owner by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Tutorial] How to improve ping / reduce lag in SAAF.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bilal, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Bilal

Clan Owner

We all know how much lag sucks. Sometimes, it makes it impossible for us to play. The real suspect is our ISP (internet service provider) but thankfully, there are a few tricks to improve ping and packet loss in SAAF (and other online games as well), or basically, reduce lag. There are three things you can do:

Make sure you're logged in as administrator before attempting the following steps.

1. Changing the MTU.
    A maximum transmission unit (MTU) is the largest size packet or frame, specified in octets (eight-bit bytes), that can be sent in a packet- or frame-based network such as the Internet. The Internet's Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) uses the MTU to determine the maximum size of each packet in any transmission. (Source: Click here). Open up the spoiler below and follow the steps.
    To change the MTU, search "cmd", right click, and start it as administrator. Type the following:
    Code:
    netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface
    It will show you something like this: (There can be variations in some cases)
    [​IMG]

Now, check which MTU quantity would be the best for your case. This can be done by: (Default: 1500, Suggested: 1473, DO NOT go below 1400)
    Code:
    ping www.saaf.tk -f -l [1400-1500]. (Try any number between 1400 to 1500, when it says 0% loss, that's the one you're looking for).
    [​IMG]
    For me, it was 1440.

Once you've found your lucky number, type the following. Change the "mtu=" value to your lucky number. (Press enter after typing every line, it should say "Ok".)
    Code:
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1440 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1" mtu=1440 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet" mtu=1440 store=persistent
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection* 2" mtu=1440 store=persistent
    [​IMG]
    That's it for changing MTU. Move to the next step.

2. Setting up static IP address.
    A static IP address is a number (in the form of a dotted quad) that is assigned to a computer by an Internet service provider (ISP) to be its permanent address on the Internet. (Source: Click here). Open up the spoiler below and follow the steps.
    First of all, open up your router configuration. (Default: 192.168.1.1, Username: admin, Password: admin - You can locate login credentials on the back side of your router) I have PTCL AN-1020-25 router, but your router settings must be quite similar.

Click on Advanced Settings > Lan > Add Entries.
    [​IMG]

Open up "cmd" / command prompt once again. Find your Mac Address / Physical Address by typing ipconfig /all.
    [​IMG]

Write your Physical Address / Mac Address in the field given. Write any IP address between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.255. That will become your static IP for your PC, that means, your router will not assign that IP address to any other device in your home.
    [​IMG]
    That's it, move to the next step.

3. Changing DNS server.
    Domain Name Servers (DNS) are the Internet's equivalent of a phone book. They maintain a directory of domain names and translate them to Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. This is necessary because, although domain names are easy for people to remember, computers or machines, access websites based on IP addresses. (Source: Click here). Click on the spoiler below and follow the steps.
    Open "Network and Sharing Center", click on "Change adapter settings".
    [​IMG]

Right click on "Wi-Fi" or "Ethernet" if you have a wired connection. Click "Properties", and find "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/Ipv4)". Double click on it, and check "Use the following IP address" and fill in the IP address you chose while setting up a static IP address. The subnet mask will automatically appear. You can find out your default gateway by opening up command prompt and typing ipconfig /all.
    Check "Use the following DNS server addresses", and write 8.8.8.8 in the "Preferred DNS server" and 8.8.4.4 in the "Alternate DNS server". Check "Validate settings upon exit" and click on "Ok".
    [​IMG]
    Reboot your modem and you're good to go!

I hope this helped you guys, if it did, leave a positive rating. If anyone finds any mistake in my tutorial or wants to add something, be sure to let me know so I can edit the post. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Meraxes

VIP

Coo, it'll be good for users who have this problem. I had it before but it has been fixed now :) Thanks for this tutorials ;)

3. Bilal

Clan Owner

Update - 20/7/2017

There are a few more things which you should change in your router settings. These would further enhance your gaming and browsing experience. (My ping reduced from 220 with constant packet loss to 180 with no packet loss).
    • Head to your router configuration, navigate through Advanced Setup to Quality of Service and disable it. Most routers come with enabled Quality of Service as a part of factory settings.
    • Find DSL and disable ADSL2, ADSL2+, AnnexL, AnnexM. Keep G.Dmt, G.lite, T1.413 enabled.
    • If you still notice packet loss or high latency after following all of the steps correctly, it could be a problem with your router, or the server might be facing lag issues. A temporary fix is to reboot your modem at least 5 times, with 10 seconds gap between each reboot.
    * All of the steps are tested by me, and do not pose any threat. It's completely safe with no disadvantages.

4. Qw4rtz

Qw4rtz Eating visitors
    Administrator

Cool tutorial :grinning::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bilal

Clan Owner

Update - 21/7/2017
    • After finding out your optimal MTU, add 28 to it which would make it the max amount of MTU your router can have. For example, my optimal MTU is 1464, if I add 28 to it, that's 1492. You must change your MTU to 1492 (in my case).
    • Open your router configuration. Navigate to Wireless > Advanced. Make sure "Channel" is set on "Auto". If it shows "Interference severe", change the channel from Auto to 1-5.
    • Ethernet is preferred for online gaming over Wi-Fi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 Bilal, Jul 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017 at 11:21 AM